Navigation Bar

28 July 2018

Intuitive Art Diaries 9: A Semi-Abstract Intuitive Painting


Hi everybody,

In this episode of the series, I would like to let you take a look behind the scenes of the creation of the intuitive painting below.

"Cosmic", Acrylics, Inks, Paint Pens and Gel Pens on Paper, 18cmx34cm, Intuitive Painting

When I started this piece I wanted to explore abstract painting, the use of black and white, the creation of texture and the addition of script in a work of art. I was looking forward to using acrylics, acrylic inks, gel pens and paint pens on heavyweight paper (400g/m2) for acrylics. The surface has an unusual shape (18cmx34cm) since it is a left over long and narrow piece, which makes it panoramic.

I have been dabbling in abstract art but I am certainly no expert. So far I concluded that abstract and intuitive art have intuition as a common source. 

"Cosmic" (Detail1), Acrylics, Inks, Paint Pens and Gel Pens on Paper, 18cmx34cm, Intuitive Painting

I love complementary colours like for example here I used red and pink with green, and blue with orange. I imagine that pink and green attract me because they are symbolising the heart chakra, the place of love. In this painting I also experimented with putting red next to magenta and pink next to orange. These combinations always remind me of India which to me is a land of beautiful patterns and colours. I added small areas with black and white to see their effect on bright colours. 

Then I created indented script and patterns by running an empty pen in the wet paint for more texture. The surface I chose already came nicely textured which was a bonus. The words Forgive Doubt and Accept Wonder reflect how I was feeling at the time and are quite empowering to me. After the indented script dried I filled it up with coloured gel pens. 

"Cosmic" (Detail2), Acrylics, Inks, Paint Pens and Gel Pens on Paper, 18cmx34cm, Intuitive Painting

The middle of the painting remained empty until I drew in some stylised flowers with paint pens. I believe that from the moment I added a recognizable shape in this piece it stopped being an abstract painting and became a semi-abstract work. 

I called the painting "Cosmic" because it reminds me of beauty growing out of chaos and chaos making sense in its own particular beauty. The work also has a flair of Eastern mysticism about it, which I believe is caused by the colours that I chose, which make me think of India and by the swirls and ultramarine eye shapes that reflect long gone ancient cultures in Egypt and the Middle East. Also the flowers in the middle remind me of lotuses, symbolically important in Eastern civilisations. 

Voilà, I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to see a particular work analysed.

The analysis of this work is part of my Intuitive Art Diaries series. Read the introduction to this series by clicking Intuitive Art Diaries: One Artwork at a Time.

Much love,

Rika

6 comments:

  1. Do you appreciate abstract art? What do or don't you like about it? My appreciation of abstract art evolved over the years. At first it didn't speak to me at all, I guess I found it rather boring. Then I started appreciating it for what it was: art. Eventually I got intrigued by its patterns, colours and textures. Now I'm especially attracted by the play of its colours. I even like it so much now that I started experimenting with creating it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in this work are beautiful. Especially the pink, magenta and dark blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the abstract shapes, the script, and the coarse texture of the paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, Thanks for commenting. I was wondering if you always have liked abstract art or if this appreciation evolved over time? 💖

      Delete
  4. I’ve always like bright colors and sharp textures abstract or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸