Navigation Bar

20 October 2018

Intuitive Art Diaries 11: The Painting Cosmic Flower

Hi everybody,

In this episode of the series, I would like to tell you a bit more about the creation of the following intuitive painting.

Cosmic Flower, Watercolours on Paper, 30cmx40cm, Intuitive Painting

I love creating intuitive paintings of botanical subjects. They are quite meditative and uncomplicated. Perhaps that's why they don't need much clarification. What is particular about this piece is that it came to me with an auditory message. This doesn't always happen. I heard a whispering voice saying: 'A flower is growing in the Universe. Or is it the other way around, could a flower contain the essence of the Universe?' I believe this message talks about the principle of the mandala, which can be described as a round structure built out of shapes and patterns. Mandalas can be recognised in tiny cells and in gigantic bodies like planets. A flower is an example of an organism resembling a mandala with its heart or centre surrounded by petals. 

Cosmic Flower - Heart (detail), Watercolours on Paper, 30cmx40cm, Intuitive Painting

Creating mandalas can be therapeutic. For example working from the inside towards the outside can help to become more extravert and the opposite can help to return to one's essence, the understanding of the self. In this piece I started with the heart of the flower which is green and pink, the colors of the heart chakra. I also worked with indigo here for the first time, a very dark blue that is almost black, the color of the third eye chakra, which represent clairvoyance. I used a lot of blue-green, the colour of the throat chakra, which represents communication. The flower is radiating strong yellow, the color of the plexus solaris chakra, situated above our belly button, containing our strength. The purple that mixed from the blues and pinks is the colour of the crown chakra on top of our heads, where we are connected to the unknown, the universe or the divine. To me the flower looks like it is growing in the cosmos, emerging out of nothing and yet containing some essentials of existence which are love, strength, communication and spirituality. 

Cosmic Flower - Face (detail), Watercolours on Paper, 30cmx40cm, Intuitive Painting

With its cool colors and dark blues the piece reminds me of the night. I had it matted and framed behind glass with a thin silver wooden frame which suits it beautifully. 

Funny how one can see things in a painting for the first time after handling it for years. This piece was created in 2013 and I just discovered this face in one of the petals. Perhaps it is referring to humanity as part of the big mystery in the universe.

In the close-up below I can see a dove, but that's a bit of a stretch. I added this image simply because I like how the colors blend together. I love intuitive painting because it is full of beautiful surprises. I think it's just a question of asking the divine permission to create something beautiful and then giving up all control, trust and letting it happen. It is rare that something goes horribly wrong but even then the painting can still serve a purpose by for example cutting it up and using it for collage. You will always find these sections with beautiful random blends even in the most ruined paintings. 

Cosmic Flower - Dove (detail), Watercolours on Paper, 30cmx40cm, Intuitive Painting

I hope you enjoyed this analysis.

The analysis of this work is part of my Intuitive Art Diaries series. Read the introduction to this series by clicking Intuitive Art Diaries: One Artwork at a Time.

Please share your thoughts. I would love to hear from you!

Much love,

Rika

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever try your hand on creating mandalas? Do you have any favorites? Please share your experiences with mandalas. So far I have been creating flower mandalas. I enjoy looking for them on my nature walks. One of my next endeavors is intentionally creating an intuitive mandala. I'm curious how that's going to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the colors, the shapes, and the textures. I would like to read more about mandalas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hubby, Thank you for your comment! I hope to work more on the theme of mandala’s soon 💗🙏💗

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸