Navigation Bar

18 November 2018

Why Not Using Mystical Black in Intuitive Painting?

Hi everybody,

In this blog post I would like to share how my attitude towards the color black, technically a neutral or a non-color, changed throughout my life. Consequently this evolution influenced the use of black in my intuitive and spiritual painting and in my artwork in general. I have studied the question over the years and I concluded that the use of black in art is a rather controversial topic, especially in watercolor painting. Some think that black straight out of the tube or pan does not belong in a watercolor painting at all. Others plead for mixing lively blacks and again some people swear by the use of pure lamp black or payne's grey. Although not as often, the question gets also debated in acrylic and oil painting. 

Cosmic Dream, Acrylic and Ink on Cradled Birchwood, 20cmx20,5cmx2,5cm, Intuitive Painting (solid black)

I myself have experienced different relationships with black. As a child I loved pastels and bright colors. I thought black was a useful color but it was certainly not my favorite. As a teenager I loved the Gothic style which was all black and silver with a rare touch of purple. Then as a young woman I discovered different theories about the use of color in spirituality, healing colors and chakra studies where black is to be avoided. For example, according to some of these theories wearing black would pollute the aura which could potentially lead to health issues. At some point I decided to ban black clothes and accessories from my wardrobe and I even developed a fear of the color. Also since it was my goal to depict the light in my artwork I made it my goal not to use black media like paints and pencils at all and instead use dark purples and blues that I mixed myself. The darkest color I had been using was indigo, a dark blue color that is almost black. 

Green Lights, Watercolors on Paper, 48cmx36cm, Intuitive Painting (Indigo)

Today as an adult I feel the need to allow black back into my life. I reached a stage where I realize that everything has its place. Like the saying: 'there is no light without darkness' I concluded that not all that is related to black is negative and sad. In some cultures and belief systems black is festive and in others black can symbolize rest, protection, the dreamworld and infinity. Also I now discovered more theories about spiritual evolution and holistic well-being where black is perfectly acceptable and even necessary as part of the whole spectrum of color and non-color. I now see the importance of balancing yin and yang represented in black and white. Bringing black into my outfits and artwork again symbolizes that. I reconnected with what I experienced as lush color earlier in my life, beautiful, magical and mystical. 

The Dream, Acrylic, Ink and Paint Pen on Canvas Board, 30cmx24cmx0,25cm, Intuitive Painting
(line work and little patches)

At first I didn't feel comfortable reintroducing it into my artwork. I started out with some line work, then little patches and soon I got the hang of it again. I illustrated this blog post with some of my experiments that turned out really nice. The examples are referred to in bold, underlined and in italic. I even made a painting on wood on an almost solid black background and I also experimented with lamp black and Payne's Grey in watercolors and spiritual painting. Up to now I feel that black works really well in my abstract work.


I have to admit that I'm still not naturally compelled to using black in my intuitive painting but I enjoy experimenting with it. I feel more complete now that I feel free to use it and even more important is that I'm happy that I'm not fearing it anymore. After all, everything goes in intuitive art.


I hope you enjoyed this post and that you will share your experiences with the color black in your uplifting, spiritual and intuitive artwork. I would love to hear from you!

Reflections of a Buddha in the Night, Watercolors on Paper, 32cmx24cm, Intuitive Painting
(Watercolors and Spiritual Painting)

Love,

Rika

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸