Navigation Bar

24 October 2020

Intuitive Art Diaries 13: Birth of the Elfin Queen

Hi everybody,

Today, in episode 13 of the series Intuitive Art Diaries, I would like to tell you something more about my most recent intuitive painting called Birth of the Elfin Queen. The process was quite different from what I normally do. Actually this painting or rather the idea for this painting was created in 2008.

Birth of the Elfin Queen, Watercolors on Paper, 41cmx33cm, Intuitive Painting, 2020

Back then it was one of my first attempts at intuitive painting. I didn't have much experience with watercolors and surfaces. I chose to use gouache and pencils on cardboard. This was not the best choice to begin with, but then disaster struck. I wanted to erase something while the surface was still wet and damaged it beyond repair.

Now, towards the end of 2020, I was drawn to create it again with watercolors on watercolor paper. It's like it was calling me after all these years. So I decided to transfer it to the new surface with pencil and transfer paper. It was different in that the intuitive part actually lays back in 2008. I did paint it intuitively with a fresh palette since the original's colors were not appealing to me anymore. I kept the green skin tone of the centre figure and the multicolored hair of the big face.

Now how to interpret this? I definitely think that I am roaming in the realms of the fae. They must be from a particular tribe because although I recognize their energy as fairy, they don't have the typical pointy ears.

In the middle we see what I perceive as the Birth of the Elfin Queen. The name of this painting came to me as if I were hearing it. Elfin and not Fairy perhaps because of the round ears. The green color of her skin tells us that she is young like Spring and that she will grow. Green is also the color symbolizing healing. The lady in blue on her right side represents the Lady of the Lake. She is reading from an ancient scroll celebrating the birth of the new queen. The large face on her left side is representing her fairy godmother, the one who contains all wisdom and will share it with her when time has come. The birds represent messengers between realms, the butterflies symbolize transformation and the Koi fish good luck and prosperity. 

I hope you enjoy! 

I welcome questions and kind words in the comments below.

Much love,

Rika

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸