Navigation Bar

12 December 2022

Intuitive Art Collaboration with Jules Ostara

Hi everybody,

Long time no see! I hope you're all well and I hope you're excited about new regular posts here on Glowing Roots' Blog.

I would like to pick up where I left off with a lovely collaboration project I worked on with my wonderful artist friend Jules Ostara. We both sent each other four works in progress on eight by eight inch watercolor paper. We then finished each other's works off. So, we created eight collaborative works in total and gave them each our own titles, which are indicated below the images here.


Intuitive Artist Jules Ostara


Since Jules already described our project on her blog so well ("Better Together"), I thought it would be more interesting for you if I interviewed her about our work together. 


Rika Dehombreux ('Wonderful, with Love & Light') & Jules Ostara ('Moondust in the Garden')


So, here it goes:

Hi Jules, Welcome on Glowing Roots' Blog. We're so excited to have you here! So, what is your biggest joy when collaborating with other artists this way? What does it bring you?

I love exploring in new ways thanks to the colors or designs that I may not typically use. I also love that we may bring different cultural backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to the collaboration that influence both the art and the artists. We get to know and encourage each other. I find it to be very enriching and expansive. 


Jules Ostara ('Whims of Love') & Rika Dehombreux ('Love, Bliss & Spirit')


What’s your favorite piece of the ones that you completed and why? What’s your favorite piece of the ones I completed and why?

Though it is hard to choose, I'm going to say that the one I called "Through the Wild" is my favorite of the ones that I completed. I think I love that the majority of the initial layer still shines forth. I also love the colors and it feels like an inviting place where I'd like to go for a walk or sit and enjoy the view. 

It's even harder for me to choose a favorite from the ones you completed. I'm going to say it is a tie between the ones I called "Wish upon a Heart" & "Cosmic Blooms". I love how light and bright they are. I also love the delicious details and sweet sparkles. The one with the hearts feels like a wishing well in a cave of wonders... some place magical!


Rika Dehombreux ('Tenderness at Dusk') & Jules Ostara ('Pollination')


What energy do the pieces radiate to you? Do you think there’s a difference between the ones I completed and the ones that you completed?

I think one of the aspects that stands out the most to me is the use of words in the ones Rika completed. I notice the words provide direction and clues to the energy whereas the ones without words rely on the viewer or the titles. Still, I think they all exude a light-heartedness that I can feel, appreciate, and enjoy.


Jules Ostara ('Passion Flowering') & Rika Dehombreux ('Trust Your Intuition')


Does your art turn out differently when completing work started by someone else? Does it prompt you to do different things or use different media?

Definitely! This is one reason I like collaborating so much. Even with people that seem to share a similar visual or energetic language and approach, the collaborative process often surprises me. I've also found that listening to music while creating or recent books and movies can have a similar influence. For example, since I've homeschooled my twin boys, sometimes I might start to see more cosmic aspects to a painting while studying astronomy or cellular resemblances if studying biology. I think this is also what can make the conversation between art and viewers so interesting. Each viewer brings their own stories, preferences, and experiences to the interactions.


Rika Dehombreux ('Bursting with Love & Light') & Jules Ostara ('Core of Matter')


What’s your biggest challenge when working with other artists this way? How do you overcome it?

Covering up their work! I loved each initial layer that you sent. It is a delicate dance to add to it without completely losing the lovely contributions from the artist who began it. This was especially true this time since we only exchanged pieces one time and were not able to go back and forth several times while taking turns working together. To overcome that hesitation, I first found an area to focus on that I loved most. Then, I tried to add color and marks in ways that would enhance and emphasize that. 


Jules Ostara ('Wish upon a Heart') & by Rika Dehombreux (Simply Enjoy Painting Your Wishes')


Where can we find out more about you? Where can we connect with you? Is there something else you would like us to know about?

You can see more about me and how I encourage creatives at ThriveTrue.com or on my social media Instagram and Facebook.


Rika Dehombreux ('Just Beautiful') & Jules Ostara ('Through the Wild')


You can also enjoy free downloadable gifts, book previews, updates and special offers from my Magic Mail Newsletters. There are seasonal give-aways reserved especially for email acquaintances. Recipients are randomly selected from current subscribers around each equinox and solstice. Items could include inspiration card decks, books, art prints, or original art! 

You can also see several videos with some tutorials, poetry readings, and stories behind the art on YouTube. There is even a video conversation that Rika and I had about intuitive art available there, Inner View with Rika Dehombreux about Art and Intuition

You can also check out the books I wrote, The Girl Who Dances With Delight and Born to Bloom Bright and the Inspiration Card Decks I created, the Heart of Life and Soul Songs 


Jules Ostara ('Cosmic Blooms') & Rika Dehombreux ('Straight from the Heart')


I think there are many ways to collaborate. Every time we take a sketchbook outside to spend time observing nature, we infuse our work with that energy. Every online class I've taken or offered is a sort of collaboration between the participants and the guide(s). We are all connected in mysterious and amazing ways!

Thank you, Rika, for collaborating with me in this way with both the art and the interview. Thanks to all your readers for spending a bit of time to join the conversation with us.

A big 'Thank You!' to Jules Ostara for granting us this insightful and beautiful interview! Please let us know if you have any questions in the comments below. 

With Love & Light, 

Rika 💖🙏💖

2 comments:

  1. Lovely way to celebrate and share our collaborative art. Thanks again for being a marvelous partner in creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jules 💜🙏💜😊

      Delete

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸