Navigation Bar

22 December 2015

Christmas in Intuitive Art

Hello everybody,

To me Christmas is a magical time full of storytelling and fairy tales. I love the idea of celebrating the return of the light and vowing to participate in spreading peace, joy and compassion.

As you know I am an intuitive artist. This means that in order to create holiday imagery I need to emerge myself in the mood of the season. Consequently I always present work in the holidays from precedent years.

I would like to show you the Christmas imagery I have created so far.

"Christmas Angel", Colored Pencil on Paper, Intuitive Drawing

In December of 2014 I made two intuitive drawings: Christmas Angel and Christmas Unicorn. They symbolically refer to the manger where Jesus Christ was born and the visit of the Three Magi. The main subjects are an angel and a unicorn showing the star guiding the magi to their destination. In one case it appears on the angel's forehead and in the other on the unicorn's horn. These areas are the places of the beings' third eye confirming that they have clear sight in the workings of the universe and are thus light-beings, messengers of hope and happiness. The horn could also be associated with the colorful point we traditionally decorate the top of the Christmas tree with. 

In the same month of December I also created the intuitive painting Fairy of Winter. Although the idea was sketched in a purely intuitive manner, some planning was involved (see my blog post Intuitive Art and Planning Along The Way). I believe this fairy represents the spirit of winter bringing snow and hereby urging us to slow down and reflect on the year nearly being over. This practice opens the possibility for emerging resolutions for the new year. 
In December of 2008 I painted Holly Fairy. This was my first intuitive Christmas painting ever. The little fairy is flying amongst holly branches. It looks like she is throwing something invisible around. I believe it to be Christmas wishes. 

Both intuitive fairy paintings reside in the sphere of Santa Claus' elves. The winged figures also belong to the fairy realms and can thus be considered light-beings (see the label Fairy Realms for more blog posts about fairies in intuitive art). 

"Holly Fairy", Watercolors on Paper, Intuitive Painting

Please share how you enjoy and experience Christmas in intuitive art. You can do so in the comments below or contact me. I am looking forward to meeting you!

Wishing you all Happy Holidays, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Click on Glowing Roots Newsletter to subscribe to my newsletter and get blog updates, artsy news, freebees and special offers delivered directly in your inbox.

Love,

Rika

1 comment:

  1. Hi everybody,

    What is your favorite Christmas tale or story? Thanks for sharing.

    Love,

    Rika

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸