Navigation Bar

13 January 2016

Intuitive Art Diaries 3: Positive Change and Indigo Child

Dear Readers,

Let me tell you a little more about my intuitive watercolor painting Positive Change and Indigo Child. It is the first work in my series Healing Watercolors

"Positive Change and Indigo Child", Watercolors on Paper, Intuitive Painting

One nice summer day I succumbed to doom thinking. I am normally an optimistic person really but I have these moments now and again where everything seems useless and all seems going to waste. I particularly doubted my art. I aim to create beautiful images that radiate love and peace. I believe that visuals have a big impact on us and so I think that positive imagery can help us to create balance and harmony. But that particular day I felt so overwhelmed by negative news that I hardly thought it would make a difference if I tried to help by producing uplifting artwork. In order to get out of that apathy I decided to paint.

I got my watercolor materials out and relaxed. After a short moment to ground and center myself and quiet my mind, I started painting intuitively. I was quite surprised by what came to me. Although the image was very tender and beautiful, it had no obvious meaning to me.

"Positive Change and Indigo Child" (Portrait), Watercolors on Paper, Intuitive Painting

A lovely child dressed in orange with dark blue hair and violet eyes appeared. He or she is sitting amongst purple and pink flowers and bamboo shoots, possibly symbols of spring and summer while in the act of releasing a butterfly, the symbol of transformation. The child wears a purple flower on the place of the third eye, which could symbolize clairvoyance. He or she is radiating a wonderful subtle aura in pinks, yellows and blues, which could reveal high sensitivity. Some elements like the orange dress, the fully developed third eye and the sense of tenderness and compassion reminded me of the Buddha. But my intuition brought me further. The word indigo kept resonating in my head and I started looking for the definition of this color. I found that indigo could refer to a color ranging from dark deep blue to violet. I found the dark deep blue in the hair and the violet in the eyes. This brought me to the concept of the indigo child. I had heard the term before but I did not exactly know what it conveyed. I did some research and found that it is believed that Indigo Children are people born in challenging and changing times to help restore harmony on earth. They are highly sensitive and psychic and feel compelled to work for love and peace. So I named my painting Positive Change and Indigo Child.

"Indigo Child and Positive Change" (Detail), Watercolors on Paper, Intuitive Painting

After the painting was done I felt quite uplifted. It was like I received an indirect message not to give up, that times are changing, both the good and the bad, and that creating beautiful images on peace and harmony is a cause well worth pursuing.

You can read about the making and interpretation of the other pieces in the series in Healing Watercolors I and Healing Watercolors II.

Are you working on this topic, would you like to add something to my interpretation or do you have any questions? I would love to hear your thoughts!

The analysis of this work is part of my Intuitive Art Diaries series. Read the introduction to this series by clicking Intuitive Art Diaries: One Artwork at a Time.

Love,

Rika

1 comment:

  1. What would you like to tell us about Indigo Children in intuitive art? Please share your thoughts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸