Navigation Bar

20 January 2016

Intuitive Art Diaries 4: How to Relieve Creative Block

Hi everybody,

It occurs now and again that I feel overwhelmed with the good thing, so much that I get creatively blocked. Then, I even find myself unable to make intuitive art. Last spring for example caused everything to bloom and the light to change. The imagery was absolutely inspiring. I could see potential in the smallest bud and the widest landscape. As always I was also working on an art course because I find it important to keep challenging myself. In the same respect I like to look up other artists whom I admire in order to analyze what they do and how they create. I am also continuously educating myself in creative entrepreneurship. It happened that all of this input inspired me so much that I felt pulled in a billion directions. There were all these techniques that I wanted to try out, all the subject matter that I wanted to explore, all the color combinations that fascinated me, all the surface treatment that looked intriguing, ... all these possibilities. Then it dawned on me: "Is a lifetime long enough to get it all done and if it is, where to start?". Before I knew it I was swimming in ideas, wonderful imagery and unable to create plus feeling rushed. Then I thought about the saying "One cannot have too much of the good thing" and that made perfect sense to me.

"Portal, Be Authentic, Be Free", Watercolors on Paper, Intuitive Painting

So I decided to go back to my essence. I took a fresh watercolor page and my watercolor paints, the medium I felt most comfortable with in that particular moment. First I asked the Universe to assist me. I sat still for a while and I tried to come back to myself by reflecting on a few questions: "Ok, what do I really want to do now? I want to paint. How do I want to paint? I want to paint intuitively, just paint. How should I integrate all this beautiful imagery and ideas that came to me? I shouldn't because this is a subconscious process. The only thing I need to do is paint without restriction, without judgement, without knowledge." And I relaxed and everything grew quiet while I was creating. I was grateful for the image that appeared. I called it Portal, Be Authentic, Be Free. It could be read so easily and the message was to the point. It was like this painting offered a resolution to the problematic I was dealing with.

"Portal, Be Authentic, Be Free" (detail), Watercolors on Paper, Intuitive Painting

The left side is busy with color. There is the tree of life with three energy centers and a colorful aura. In the latter I can discern the profile of a child's face looking towards the right at what is happening in the background. At the level of its third eye or forehead is a portal with a heart. The right side is much calmer with some plants and birds and a light-being, an angel maybe, flying into the open air. I think the tree and the child represent the inner child that is naturally part of the world and is not bothered by all its impressions and complexities. The portal represents how the inner child's mind is free to move back and forth from chaos and high input to quiet open space. It does that naturally and lovingly and is also able by choice to soar through the  sky like an angel. The inner child is always connected to the Source, knows its own authenticity and is free.

"Portal, Be Authentic, Be Free" (detail), Watercolors on Paper, Intuitive Painting

Did you ever experience a similar situation where intuitive art brought you the answers to a problem? Would you like to add something to the suggested interpretation? I would love to hear your thoughts!

The analysis of this work is part of my Intuitive Art Diaries series. Read the introduction to this series by clicking Intuitive Art Diaries: One Artwork at a Time.


Love, 

Rika

1 comment:

  1. How do you deal with creative block? Do you use creating intuitive art as a remedy? Thanks for sharing your experiences. šŸ’—

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them šŸ’š On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸