Navigation Bar

27 January 2016

The Buddha and the Lotus Flower in Intuitive Painting

Hi everybody,

Buddhism is a lovely theme to explore in intuitive art. It offers so many possibilities to work with joy, peace and compassion.

At the end of 2014 I completed the intuitive painting Reflections of a Buddha Meditating by Night. I worked with watercolors on 300g/m2 watercolor paper. The idea was inspired by a graceful motif that previously appeared in my work. The color palette is cool and the figure is sitting on a lotus leaf while the surrounding flowers are closed for the night. I intended to convey peace of mind. 

So far I made three intuitive paintings showing a Buddha figure meditating amongst the lotuses blooming in a body of water located between the mountains. Interesting is that they were all made with different media. The reason that I chose to start the titles of these pieces with Reflections of a Buddha ... is that the images that came to me were not based on iconographic study but on my intuition. 
In 2013 I created Reflections of a Buddha on the Lake of Peace. This painting was done with acrylics on paper suited for oils and acrylics. The color palette is mixed with warm and cool hues. Here the figure is sitting on a lotus flower. This is a common feature in traditional representations of the Buddha. I read that in different cultures this wonderful plant is associated with divinity and enlightenment. According to my understanding this is because it is rooted in the mud (metaphor for chaos), grows through troubled waters (metaphor for the waywardness of emotions) and finally opens its fresh petals up to the sky (metaphor for the purity of the universe).
The first time that this theme appeared in my intuitive work was in 2007 when I created the painting Reflections of a Buddha on the Lotus Sea. I remember that a friend of mine commissioned a large piece depicting a Buddha in a warm palette of autumn colors. I chose to work with oils on canvas board. Little did I know that what came forth would become one of my favorite subjects to explore. 

If you also love intuitive art inspired by Buddhism then please share your thoughts. I would love to hear from you!

Love,

Rika

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸