Navigation Bar

09 January 2016

Intuitive Photography: Little Worlds in the Pollard Willows

Hi everybody,

Holistic views often mention how beneficial it is to learn how to be in the moment. One fall day I felt particularly overwhelmed and nervous. Furthermore I was suffering from lack of inspiration. I went to the meadow behind our backyard for a stroll with Lupa our dog. I was disappointed since I thought being in nature would help but it didn't. Then I remembered the phrase: "learning how to be in the moment".

"Mannekin in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

"Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

I decided to give that a try and I took a closer look at the Pollard willows bordering the property. These trees are a common feature here in Flanders. You commonly find them along pathways and bordering patches of land. I was never impressed with them since I thought they were a quite plain and somewhat boring feature of the landscape. But now that I took the time to pay attention to what I was taking for granted I found myself fascinated.

"Ferns in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

"Oak Tree in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

I discovered little worlds in the trees. These Pollard willows seemed to be a host for other plants, trees and fungi, like ferns, dandelions, and mushrooms. I even saw one with an oak tree growing in it and another with a miniature forest. What made the biggest impression on me was a tree providing the foundation for a mushroom city. It displayed at least five fungi varieties from the root to the top. These only existed for a few days though. 

"Mushrooms in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

"Mushroom City in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

The more I looked the more I saw. Not only were the knots quite wondrous but also the trunks showed mysterious braids, spirals, faces and bodies as if they had been sculpted. Some of the plants that live in the knots are so strong that they split the trunk. Needless to say that I was struck with inspiration to create fairy realms. I even had the idea that if I just looked a little closer I might see fair folk dwelling in these hidden little worlds. The Pollard willow would certainly be a good candidate for sheltering the mythical dryad, a sort of fairy who can both be human and tree.

"Dryad in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

"Titan in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

I told my husband Sam about my enchanting discovery and asked him to document this with his wonderful photography. So here it is. Enjoy!

"Miniature Forest in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

"Wizard's Staff in the Pollard Willow", Intuitive Photography by Samuel Woodbury

Did you ever have a similar experience? I would love to hear your thoughts! You can check out more of Sam's photography on his blog Images and Impressions by Samuel Todd Woodburyhttp://samuelwoodbury.blogspot.be .

Love,

Rika

1 comment:

  1. What do you think about being in the moment? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your supportive and encouraging comments! I really appreciate them 💚 On topic questions are always welcome as well. I typically respond within 48 hours. Make sure to check the box ‘notify me’ before publishing if you want to get notified of my response. Best wishes, Rika 🌸